Program Guidelines for the Special Events and Tourism Related Activities Committee (SETRAC) Grants Program - Administered by the Kinston-Lenoir County Convention & Visitors Bureau
The SETRAC grants program exists to stimulate and assist Kinston - Lenoir County organizations and agencies in the enhancement, promotion and marketing of tourism and culturally related events and activities.
The objective of the program is to give greater scope to innovative ideas and help organizations and agencies undertake activities that would not be considered without special funding. The SETRAC program is designed to assist in establishing activities and events that, because of their own merit, can eventually grow and succeed without financial assistance from this program.
Funding for the SETRAC program is authorized under House Bill 817 - Chapter 561 which states:
The Authority may spend funds remitted to it under this subsection only to further the development of travel, tourism, and conventions in Lenoir County through advertising and promotion, to sponsor tourist-oriented events and activities in Lenoir County, and to finance tourist-related capital projects in Lenoir County. Lenoir County share of the occupancy tax proceeds in a fiscal year for specific tourist-related events or activities, such as arts and cultural events; or for promoting, improving, constructing, financing or acquiring facilities or attractions that enhance the development of tourism.
Funding decisions are based on an applicant’s ability and intent to attract visitors and generate hotel/motel room nights from outside the immediate Kinston area.
Financial grants are made twice during the fiscal year—in July and January. Deadline for submission of applications are December 27, 2012 and June 27, 2013, respectively. Specific award notification and application deadline dates are determined prior to the beginning of each funding cycle.
- Projects shall be tourism or culturally related and will be granted funds only on the basis that they enhance the development of travel and tourism in Kinston-Lenoir County, promote out-of-town visitors, and have more than merely a local impact.
- Projects shall be either capital, promotional, advertising or marketing in nature, designed to develop an increase in visitors to Kinston-Lenoir County and area hotel/motels, and facilities. Marketing must be directed to reach outside of Lenoir County in at the very minimum a 50 mile radius.
- Projects shall help to enhance Kinston-Lenoir County’s image as a visitor destination.
- In making decisions on grant applications, the Kinston-Lenoir County Tourism Development Authority will consider such factors as the type and scope of the organization/agency applying, the impact and priority of the proposed project on travel and tourism, and the potential for success. The time span in which the project will be completed, the amount of funding requested, the project’s ability and intent to attract visitors to Kinston on a continuing basis and the overall merit of the project are considerations also.
- Only projects submitted by organizations in Kinston-Lenoir County will be considered for funding.
- Kinston-Lenoir County Tourism Development Authority Board members shall not participate in any discussion or deliberation on applications submitted by any agency or organization of which they are affiliated and must leave the Board meeting during such discussion.
- Funds will not be granted for normal and routine operating and administrative expenses of the organization applying. Routine expenses include postage; telephone charges; shipping, salaries, bonuses, lodging, transportation, or entertainment costs for any staff member, consultant or other employee of an applying agency or organization.
- The Kinston-Lenoir County Tourism Development Authority’s Special Events and Tourism Related Activities Committee shall review all applications and recommend awards to the Kinston-Lenoir County Tourism Development Authority’s Board of Directors who will make final funding decisions and shall have sole authority in granting and disbursing funds.
- Projects not performed within the scope of an accepted application and guidelines of this program will be denied the receipt of funds awarded.
- No recipient that has failed to complete a previous grant satisfactorily will be eligible for a subsequent grant until the previous grant has been settled.
- Before funds can be disbursed, grant recipients must submit a letter of request for 80% of the SETRAC Grant amount awarded. The final 20% will be disbursed upon approval of the SETRAC Grant Accountability Form which must be submitted to the Director of Visit Kinston/Tourism Development Authority for approval. This form ensures compliance with grant terms and must be received within 90 days of project completion. Failure to file this form before the 90-day deadline can and may result in a loss of funding from the SETRAC program.
- The recipient’s project Accountability Form must include a list of expenses related to the award and copies of paid invoices showing that these related accounts have been settled by the grant recipient.
- The Kinston-Lenoir County Tourism Development Authority reserves the right to inspect at any time the grant recipient’s records to ensure compliance with program guidelines and accuracy of financial reporting.
- Applicants requesting funds beyond those available for funding in any one fiscal year may, at the discretion of the Kinston-Lenoir County Tourism Development Authority, be awarded a determined amount in the current budget year along with a non-binding pledge for additional funds in a future fiscal year.
- Should a new project be developed that has long-term impact on the local travel and tourism industry, the Kinston-Lenoir County Tourism Development Authority may choose to award the organization or agency non-binding pledges over more than one budget year to assist with project start up and continued success.
- In the event an applicant pursues funding for brochure production, monies awarded will be limited to development and first printing of a brochure and not subsequent printings of the brochure. Funds will not be awarded for additional printings of an existing brochure.
Application and Report forms
SETRAC Grant application and reporting forms, as well as a copy of these guidelines, are available in both Microsoft Word .doc and PDF formats to download and print.
- SETRAC Grant Application Form ( PDF | DOC )
- SETRAC Certification Form (PDF | DOC )
- SETRAC Introduction ( PDF | DOC )
- SETRAC Guidelines ( PDF | DOC )
- VisitKinston.com/TDA Logo ( PDF | EPS | JPG )
All SETRAC Applications and Inquiries Should Be Directed To:
Kinston-Lenoir County Convention & Visitors Bureau
Attn: SETRAC Grants Administrator
301 North Queen Street
Kinston, North Carolina 28502